Monday 15 September 2014

Hobby Chaos Abated


There comes a time in every person's life where they have to evaluate and make decisions about what they want to do, where their future lies. I recently had one of those moments. As a result several totes full of Warhammer are currently now packed up and in my garage.

For most of gamers I know, hobby space is limited and so you have always stored most of your stuff in boxes and army cases and kept a limited amount sitting out in the open. This is not the case in our home. Here we had a china cabinet and four Ikea display cabinets that were full of Warhammer in the living room/dining room area....the breakfast nook was converted into a painting area complete with space for two people to hobby at the same time, the bookshelves in my room are overstuffed with Warhammer rulebooks, army books, codices, FW books and Black Library novels. Plus we have the game room with the table with shelves and boxes of terrain and models.

After nearly ten years of it we both had enough of seeing Warhammer in every room and decided that it was time to box up anything that is not a current project. At first I was torn about this decision. We spent all that time and money over the years it feels wrong to put it away in a box.

Let me also tell you how freeing it is.

The first thing I see when I walk in my house is no longer the Marauder Destroyer atop a china cabinet brimming with Necrons and Guard tanks and Flames of War. Currently several of those shelves are still empty, but at the moment that suits me just fine.

It has also renewed my interest in projects that I hadn't considered working on in ages.

We'll get the boxes out of the garage eventually but at the moment we have enough projects to finish and models to paint that even my hobby butterfly of a husband can be kept happy

I'm heading back to work on the Wood Elf commission...this batch is nearly done...the Client got to sit on hold while I got a rushed order of 20 dice bags put together and ready for mailing for Cruisehammer (hosted by TSHFT) so I figure I owe it to him to get them finished now.



No comments:

Post a Comment